I had a box of two Raffaello sleeves that I found in Walmart. As I was looking at the packaging, this is what was created in my mind. (Scroll down below the video for a little shorter, squatter house that will fit three k-cups.)
It is essentially a tall and skinny milk carton, decorated to resemble a townhouse, or a gingerbread house, or any house you would like! The finished height it 10 1/2″, but the box part is 1 1/2″ wide by 1 1/4″ deep and 6 1/2″ tall.
Start with a piece of card stock 6″ by 11″, and score the 6″ side at 1/2″, 1 3/4″, 3 1/4″ and 4 1/2″. Turn the 11″ side up, and if there is a pattern keep the top to the right. Score at 1 1/4″, 7 1/2″, then flip it vertically to the wrong side and score at 10 1/2″, this is the top part of the milk carton.
Now, flipping it back to the right side, turn the 6″ top (1/2″ score) up, and score at 1 1/8″ and 3 7/8″ from the top ONLY to the first (1/2″) score. This will help us create the triangle for the “milk carton” top.
With a ruler and scoring stylus, score the two rectangles with the partial scores from the 1/2″ score line where they stop to each of the bottom corners of that rectangle. What you should have are two triangles starting from the end of the partial score line to the bottom of those rectangles.
Then create as we did for our smaller milk carton, and decorate as desired! I used 1″ strips of patterned paper that I had left on my desk, and cut the doors at 2″, and the windows at 3/4″. The townhouse doors were rounded using a 1 1/4″ circle punch. The little birdies came from a stampin up tree builder punch. The “bushes” or “snowbanks” are also from a 1″ strip of paper that was scalloped on one side. The townhouse roof was created using a 2″ strip of paper, scalloped along one side, and layered on the top, with a 1″ section at the very top. For the gingerbread house, I used 1″ strips that had been inked along the scalloped edge and layered. Then, I curled up the scalloped edge for effect. You can close it as you would like, I used a ribbon and two holes punched with a 1/8″ punch. Jingle bells and/or a tag would look fun dangling from the closure. A paperclip banner would look nice, too! (see previous project for details)
I hope you enjoy this project! Until we meet again, may your days be blessed! Smiles, Darby
As always, my viewers always have ideas and suggestions. I was asked if k-cups would fit in these, and the answer is “no”. But, I loved the idea, so I created a shorter, squatter version that will fit three k-cups stacked, and this is how it looks with the others.
Start with 8 1/2″ wide card stock (8 1/4″ will work too, your glue tab will just be 1/4″), use the length you have! I grabbed a piece of 8 1/2″ by 11″ for my pink cottage. If yours is 11 1/2″ tall, or even 12″, go for it! It will make the roof taller like the others.
Score with the 8 1/2″ side up at 2″, 4″, 6″ and 8″. Turn top to right, and score at 2″, 7 1/2″, then flip vertically and score at 1/2″ from the right end. Flip back over, and turn the top back to the scoring guide. Score at 3″ and 7″ BUT just down to the 1/2″ score line. Use a scoring stylus and ruler to score lines from the end of the partial score to each of the bottom corners of that rectangle, creating the triangular folds for the milk carton top. Repeat with other partial score. Assemble as before and decorate as desired! I did shorten my windows to 3/4″ by 3/4″ before the awnings, but my door was still 2″ by 1″.
Three k-cups will stack nicely in these, and you can close them with a clip, paperclip or with a ribbon like the others. I hope you enjoy this version!
I pray you all have much to be thankful for, this week and always. Smiles, Darby